New Burning Authorization Process

From Anarchist Mountain Fire Department

Just a reminder for everyone as to how the new burning authorization process works. The burn season is now from October 15th to April 15th so rather than having to apply in the fall and again first thing in the new year, you apply once per burn season.

There is also no fee associated with this process anymore. You simply click on the link provided below, read and acknowledge the appropriate documents and submit your application. The fire Chief will be emailed automatically and will review your application and approve it unless he/she feels that an inspection of the property is needed in which case they will notify you.

Once your application has been approved, you simply phone the venting index number provided to confirm that the venting is appropriate to burn that day and if it is, you can proceed, following the safety steps outlined in the application.

Also, if you have neighbours who are not on facebook and you don’t mind reaching out to them, please let them know about this process. Thank you.

Burn Authorization application

NOTE: The process for obtaining a burning permit within the RDOS has been updated.

Burn Authorization applications are required for the following fire protection areas: Kaleden, Naramata, Okanagan Falls, Anarchist, and Willowbrook. Residents within these five fire protection areas are required to complete a Burn Authorization application. There is no fee and no permits will be issued. Your request will be directed to your selected fire department. From that point you will be dealing directly with your local fire department.

CLICK HERE to access the Burn Authorization application

CLICK HERE to access the Public Parcel Viewer (select FireDistrictBoundary in the Layer List)

Locations outside the Fire District Boundary are under the jurisdiction of the Province of BC.

The RDOS is reminding residents to review burning regulations before completing the Burn Authorization application. “It’s important for property owners to consider their neighbours and the environment before burning,” says RDOS Chair Karla Kozakevich. “You may want to look at other options such as chipping or taking material to the landfill.”

If your property is outside one of these fire protection service areas, please contact your Municipality or the Ministry of Forests at 1-888-797-1717 to obtain an open air burning permit. Report illegal burning to your local fire authority or R.A.P.P. (Report All Poachers & Polluters) 1-877-952-7277.

Burning authorization holders must confirm burning is allowed on that day by checking the Air Quality and Venting Index. Call 250-490-4125

CLICK HERE to view today’s Venting Index

The Okanagan Valley and Similkameen Valley often experience weather systems called inversions. An inversion makes the airshed susceptible to the build up of air contaminants that impact human health, visibility, and the environment.

Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen Bylaw No. 2898, 2020
A bylaw to regulate open burning within the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen Fire Protection Areas. 

CLICK HERE to view the bylaw


Peter Humphrey

About AMCS

Building community involvement in the preservation and enjoyment of Anarchist Mountain's natural and cultural environment
This entry was posted in Announcements. Bookmark the permalink.