The community meeting with our Fire Chief will now be on TUESDAY – March 1, 2016 at 7:00 PM at the Summit Centre (Adjacent to the Rest Stop). This is a chance for you to meet the Fire Chief and ask any questions you may have as a resident and RDOS ratepayer whose tax dollars fund our Fire Dept.
We are fortunate here on Anarchist Mountain to have a local volunteer Fire Dept. Last August we got a new Fire Chief – Urs Grob. Fire Chief Grob has expressed his commitment to having the Fire Dept. work even closer with the community than ever before. To that extent there has been more collaboration with various people and Community Society (AMCS) committees (like FireSmart, and ENCOMM) here on the Mountain. In the past few weeks nearly a dozen new faces have stepped forward to train as Fire Fighters, support staff or other voluntary activities required by our Fire Dept. This is an encouraging sign going forward.
The Anarchist Mountain Community Society has requested that the Fire Chief participate in a community meeting where residents have an opportunity to meet the Fire Chief and ask questions about their community Fire Dept. This is also a chance for a community discussion of any perceived or actual issues so that they can be dealt with; and where any suggestions for improving services can be offered.
I will act as Chair of the meeting, just to keep things on track and moving. I invite you to bring forward topics for discussion prior to the meeting so that the Fire Dept. & Chief Grob can prepare any information related to those topics so that a full and open discussion takes place.
Some examples of topics that may be discussed are:
- Authority of the Fire Chief arises from the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen
- Reporting structure of the Fire Dept.
- Recruitment of new members to the Fire Dept.
- Discuss the Fire Dept. budget (cost of operations/ training / equipment / importance of donations & fund raising)
- Discuss the response capabilities / limitations of the Fire Dept.
- Benefits of local support (FireSmart, residents training in wild fire support program, fund raising etc.)
- PLEASE send me or call with any other topics for discussion, to add to the agenda
Mark McKenney, President, Anarchist Mountain Community Society